Thursday 9 May 2013

Art & Park Life on a May day

Photo's Copyright Louise Maclaren April 2010.

I like nothing better than seeing life happening from my Studio window. Immigrant families and their friends are having a wonderful game of cricket on this fair day in the park opposite my house. It is so lovely to see and I would dearly like to take some photo's for sketches for a piece of work. However I find myself thinking twice about it. Of course in this day and age we worry because people might think that we are more than a little odd!?
When I was studying art at A.S and Art foundation level, I thought nothing of sketching strangers in a park or railway station or on a train. I did not want them to know I was doing it because of the sudden attention I would get, 'ooh an artist! can I have a look?' Next thing you now what was hopefully a quiet past time has become a fiasco of fascination. Also rough sketches have little appeal to people who do not have any art training or a particular interest in art. They tend not to understand the importance of a sketch in the scheme of things or the many processes undertaken to produce a technically good painting (if that is what you are looking to achieve). Bearing in mind Art has many nuances and raison's d’ĂȘtre for being produced nowadays.
 Another interesting thing that struck me whilst noticing the nice scene in the park today was: that the mixture of immigrants we have here in our busy little North Norfolk ex railway village from Lithuanians to Seeks, Hindus, Turkish, Russians and Poles all Play games together outside when the weather is nice and they are always happy! It seems however that we as a nation are less inclined to get together and go out and really play.
 I think that perhaps the rise of Technology and the 'have it now attitude in our society' is more advanced in the western world, whereas many of these people perhaps come from places where the community as a whole is still key part in their lives?

No comments: